"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Basilica de San Francesc at Palma de Mallorca

Basilica de San Francesc

Bell Tower of the Basilica
My favorite place at Palma de Mallorca was the Basilica de San Francesc. It is a 13th century Church. The feeling of spirituality inside was incredible. I loved that it was old and crumbly. I loved that the Father of the Catalan language is buried there, Ramon Llul. He was stoned to death trying to convert Muslims to Cristianity at Tunisia in 1316.

The Basilica has a fascinating history. Some info and good photos of the Franciscan monastery can be found here.

Unfortunately my interior pictures did not turn out that good. But the ones of the exterior I really think are wonderful. What do you think?

Exterior Basilica de San Francesc




No comments:

Post a Comment