"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Walk Down Memory Lane in Paris

Me and my husband Moises on the grounds of Versailles
from Monument of Arc de Triompfe
our first visit to Paris in 2002




It has been ten years since my husband and I first went to Paris. I decided to do a walk down memory lane and look for the old photos of our visit. There were so many things special about that trip. We loved the city and its people. We remember the street cleaners scrubbing down the streets every evening at 5pm. We stayed in the 8th arrondissement close to the Champs-Élysées at Hotel California. We have never paid so much per night for a hotel, except in Venice, Italy - but the trip was magical.


More information about the area we stayed, which I highly recommend, can be found here


My husband, Moises, speaks French (as well as Spanish, English and Italian) so it made it easy to navigate the city. We had been married for less than two years, so we were still almost newlyweds. It was our first trip to Europe together. We loved spending time at the Louvre, a day trip to Versailles, and our many trips on the metro - also the Cathedral of Notre Dame and the river cruise we took. Not to be missed was the private tour we took at night to see the City ablaze in lights. (They don't call it the City of Lights for nothing!)


Hop-on hop-off  bus tour with a couple from Monterrey, Mexico

Paris has the most beautiful architectural features, like the wrought iron railing below with the Sun King motif.

wrought iron railing in Paris





2 comments: