"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stockholm Memories: Vasa and Skansen Museums

European bison at the Skansen


Mom and baby moose at the Skansen
My husband and I went on a Baltic cruise for our tenth anniversary last year. My favorite parts of Stockholm were the Vasa Museum, Skansen Open Air Museum and the surrounding waterways. I especially loved our sail out of Stockholm to Drottningholm Palace.

The Vasa Museum centers around a warship that sunk in 1628 and was refurbished starting in 1961. But I found all the other things in the museum of far more interest - the statues and reproductions of her hull and how she looked as she sailed out of Stockholm almost three hundred years ago.




Vasa Museum wall painting

My husband Moises at the Vasa Museum

Me at the Vasa



Reproductions of the hull ornamentation circa 1628

More information about the Vasa Museum can be found at this website:Visit the Vasa Museum



Carousel at the Skansen
After the Vasa, we visited the Skansen Open Air Museum, a combination small zoo and living history museum, showing the lives of Scandinavia in times past and includes shows and entertainment. The museum is 120 years old.



 More information can be found on the Skansen open air museum at:Explore the Skansen Open Air Museum

I found this youtube video which I think is especially good about both the Vasa and Skansen Museums.



  


But our favorite part of that day was the view we had while up on the hill in Skansen, looking out over the water. We were hot and tired and had just bought two bottles of water and dreamed of the wonderful lunch we would have later at a Hotel in Gamla Stan (the old part of the city.) I had the traditional smorgasbord, makes my mouth water just thinking of it. 

We ate lunch at the Grand Hotel, with fabulous service and amazing surroundings. For additional information on Swedish smorgasbord, check out:
Swedish classic: the smorgasbord
or 
information on the Grand Hotel:
Grand Hotel Stockholm





View from the Skansen



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories. I love the countryside and waterways. Stockholm is a little too busy for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. It was very crowded when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the singing lady. So wonderful. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that view! Amazing! I love that carousel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carousel was precious and very old. The archipegalo of Sweden is all like that. Views to take your breath away. I just couldn't figure out how to post on it as most of the photos would be all the same. Great water view, great water view, great water view, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete