"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Costa Concordia Accident

Bench from Costa Concordia on Giglio beach (Paul Hanna/Reuters)




I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathies to the families of the people who died from the Costa Concordia accident. I also want to express hope and prayers for those still missing. I could not imagine how hard it would be to be torn away from the ones you love to be put in a life boat, not knowing if or when you will see them again. Thankfully we are now down to 17 unaccounted for.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. I hope the stranded get back home safely.


Update January 20th ... we have heard all kinds of things by now. Costa and Carnival Cruises claim they are not responsible as the Captain made the decision to enter the water by Giglio Island on his own. The Captain appears to have abandoned his ship. I truly believe this accident will change cruising. I know my sense of safety and security is shaken. Never again can we say the Titanic can never happen again. If this accident had occurred in colder waters and further out to sea, I think we would see way more deaths. All of us wait to see what is going to happen. I think all the cruise lines will be forced to keep further away from vulnerable areas like Giglio, which is basically a marine park like Cozumel. Our hearts go out to the families still searching for their missing. 


We had our own tragedy this week in Cozumel. 

Our installer/drapery/upholstery guy lost his wife. She was 26 years old. She got sick and was gone in a month. Our heart goes out to our worker. Sad week all around. Lots of prayers needed.


Satellite image of the Costa Concordia








Now a guy has fallen or jumped and been killed on the Carnival Fantasy. Not a good month for the Carnival Corp.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4731

No comments:

Post a Comment