"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Naples, Italy

Naples Cruise Port courtesy of Google
On my first trip to Rome, my ex and I were in a taxi with the most charming taxi driver I have ever met. He was from Naples. As they say, he wore his heart on his sleeve. He told us about his mother. He had tears in his eyes. He could not have made us feel more welcome to the enchanting city of Rome, but he made me want to visit Naples even more. So we did. We took a tour that went to Naples and the Amalfi Coast and then on to Pompeii. 

The tour was great. I have been to Pompeii twice now and am still in awe of what is there. I saw a glimpse of Naples ... the garbage, the traffic, the grime. But Naples intrigues me. I loved Palermo, so maybe I can love Naples too. On my next Holland America line cruise, we will be one day in Naples. I immediately knee jerk reacted and thought I would do a tour to the Isle of Capri, which is to die for. The ferry ride is exciting, the waters and views from the cliffs amazing, but maybe just maybe I will stay in Naples instead.




I would love to visit the National Archaeological Museum. Many of the artifacts from Pompeii are actually displayed there. I am getting my bearings, figuring out. Maybe I will take a taxi to the Museum. It doesn't look far and I am sure it will not disappoint. More information on this Museum can be found here.


Archaeology Museum at Naples courtesy of Vincenzo Surace


And the best of all, maybe I will meet some folks that are like that taxi driver I met in Rome. I bet I will!

2 comments:

  1. I happen to love Naples. If you liked Palermo, you will like Naples - the people are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete