"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Graffiti: Street Art Playa del Carmen Part 1

Street Art Playa del Carmen courtesy of India Lee
Very rarely do I like to double post on both my blog Design in Cozumel and here on Gargoyles & Graffiti, but I think this is such an important phonomenon I wanted to report on both. In the process of cleaning up Playa del Carmen, in anticipation of all the new shops, plazas, hotels, and condos ... the city decided to embrace street art. Instead of trying to cover it up, they are having young people all over the city making fabulous graffiti or street art. I love it. Graffiti is a popular form of expression since Roman times, even before. Look at cave paintings.


more street art at Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Notice that the pieces are signed and adorn many of the blah or ugly concrete block walls around town. Bravo to Playa del Carmen to come up with such a colorful and fun solution.




Courtesy of India Lee
India Lee, thanks for posting on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment