"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Graffiti at Split, Croatia


Graffiti at Split
I was so torn before I left on my trip that I would have enough time to see all that Split, Croatia had to offer. I had a tour out of town to visit an ancient site and a medieval city. Both were great and I will report on those later, but my concern was to get back to see Split.


More graffiti at Split


I had time luckily to get a quick walk around the Diocletian Palace, but it really was not what I expected. Split is filled with so much graffiti, it is hard to appreciate the Roman Emporer's Palace, which by the way, is all underneath the town. It is nothing like Dubrovnik, which is beautiful and graffiti-free.


Split graffiti


Graffiti on every downtown buildng at Split


I can appreciate what I call urban wall art, but what was at Split was really not appealing. The sad thing is it is everywhere. Split is a pretty large city and has the look of urban poverty I find so sad. Lots of people with troubled faces patiently waiting for buses was the common theme all around Split.

But I loved Dubrovnik even more than the first time. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment