"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Delightful Details of the Monreale Cathedral

Imperial Sarcaphogus at Monreale Cathedral
The Monreale Cathedral has a bit of everything and a lot of mosaics. It has imperial sarcophagi, cherubs, and great marble floors. I even found online a map to follow all the mosaics as you walk around the Cathedral, but unfortunately I forgot to take a copy with me when I went. Here is the info here
Try not to do what I did ... don't  leave it in your suitcase to find when you get back home! I also never saw the Cloisters, which look beautiful. I am not even sure exactly where they are located.


But I did find some great architectural elements. Here are a few ...


Not a gargoyle but he is a great cherub

Closeup of one mosaic




Marvelous marble work at Monreale Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment