"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Friday, May 18, 2012

More on the Eze Cemetery

Eze, France




My friend Jim is also curious about the English language on the graves in the cemetery in Eze, so I started doing some digging. This is what I found so far. Walt Disney loved Eze. Also one of the Vanderbilt women, Consuelo Vanderbilt, whose first husband was a Churchill ... married the second time a man named Jacques Balsan, and they had a place in Eze. They entertained a lot there. Winston Churchill spent some time there visiting them. She also was friends with many of the American socialites. So between the British and American connections, maybe all the gravestones in English make sense. I will keep digging!


Consuelo Vanderbilt with Winston Churchill at Blenheim 1902 (from Wikipedia)








Gravestone with flowers at Eze Cemetery




Some more information on Jacques Balsan can be found here. One interesting tidbit is that Jacques brother, Etienne Balsan, was the first patron of Coco Chanel.


Olga Platonina Dinwiddie gravestone
An aside ...
I found an interesting post on the house that Consuelo Vanderbilt built for the love of her life, Jacques Balsan, in Manalapan, Florida. This article is from 2010 and shows pictures of this great home. To read it, click here. The house really is truly spectacular!

1 comment: