"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gargoyle Heaven: Terminal at Palermo

Cruise terminal at Palermo


The architecture of the terminal at Palermo was really interesting. I loved the fact that the leather seats were a little frayed. It was a premonition of what was to come, elegant but worn. 




There were lovely frescoes on the wall and the use of fine woods and leather. It reminded me of an era when the cruise liners made their way across the Atlantic. 


Close up of a fresco
As I stated earlier, I loved Palermo, much to my surprise. I found an article about this cruise port on cruise critic that pretty much sums up Palermo. That information can be found here. But it must be experienced to fully comprehend. One day was definitely not enough. I would love to go back.


Staircase at Palermo Terminal

Even though there were no gargoyles, I truly believe a gargoyle would be very happy to hang out here. I know I was!

2 comments: