"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bar Harbor and Winter Harbor

Acadia National Park
There are few places on earth as gorgeous as the coast of Maine. I loved Camden and all the little beach towns along the way, when my husband and I traveled there by car in 2009. Last time I was there in late September, and it was nippy. But nothing prepared me for the bitter cold and wind when we arrived in Bar Harbor on our cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal on the Holland America Veendam.

The day was clear, our guide Woody was great and we took a van ride to the Naval facility at Winter Harbor. It was important to the two Navy guys we had along on the tour. I tagged along and was glad I did.


View from Cadillac Mountain
We first went to the Naval facility and then wound around for the rest of the tour through Acadia National Forest. It is stunning, but the winds were treacherous at Cadillac Mountain. One tidbit I learned is that the Mountain is named after the same guy as the car. Who knew that Cadillac was a person? He was one of the original founders of Detroit. 


Information on the Naval facility at Winter Harbor




View of the plaque at Winter Harbor
The Naval facility has a very interesting history. It served as the location of the Naval Security group from 1935 to 2002. Fun to learn a little bit of Naval history.



No comments:

Post a Comment