"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Celtic Explorer Part 2

St. Peter Port Guernsey courtesy of Fraser Hall/Getty Images
This is the 2nd part of my discussion on the Holland America cruise Celtic Explorer on the Prinsendam next August, 2016. The first port of call is St. Peter Port on the island of Guernsey. I had no idea it was so pretty, until I started looking for images. And also, who can resist a place where the first thing that comes to mind is a cow? Who doesn't love the Guernsey cow? I know I do. More information on the Guernsey cow can be found here.


Guernsey Cow
What I didn't realize until researching this port is that Guernsey is located in the Channel Islands between France and England. If this area is at all similar to the Normandy area that I went to on my cruise from Barcelona to Dover, I know I will love it. What is especially great about this cruise is that I would be going to ten places I have never been before. After having cruised quite a bit in the Med, I can't normally find one cruise that I haven't been to at least half the stops. 


Isles of Scilly courtesy of Wikipedia

The next stop will be St. Marys, Isles of Scilly - an archipelago off the southwest coast of Cornwall. The water looks amazing! Now this looks like God's country to me! Then on to Antwerp.



Cathedral at Antwerp
My thought was to revisit Brussels from our stop at Antwerp. I always promised myself I would make it back there. I loved it so much the first time. My post here on Gargoyles & Graffiti, "Brussels: Better than Brussel Sprouts" has some wonderful photos I took in 2011. I wanted to go back and visit some of the museums this time. But after seeing this amazing photo of the Cathedral area at Antwerp, I might just have to stay there. Decisions, decisions.







No comments:

Post a Comment