"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Memories of Gibraltar

Some fellow passengers on Eurodam with Alan our guide
I want to say his name was Alan, but maybe it was Allen. This kind and interesting gentleman was our guide in Gibraltar. He made the tour of the siege tunnels and the Rock of Gibraltar so interesting and fun. He was a delight. I still fondly think of that wonderful tour.


Gibraltar ape






What's not to love about Gibraltar? I love the fact that it is bilingual, both English and Spanish. I love the Barbary apes. I love the friendliness of the people and the vibrant nature of the place. There was more building going on there than anywhere else I have been lately.



The views from above after you are whisked by cable car to the top are impressive. We were able to see our ship, the Holland America Eurodam below.

I am torn between taking an 11 day cruise, once again from Barcelona to Dover, but this time we would visit 5 ports in Spain, 2 in Portugal and 2 in the UK ... ending in Dover and stopping again in Gibraltar. The other option is a shorter 7 day cruise from Rome to 4 ports in Italy, 2 in Croatia and 1 in Slovenia. 


Gibraltar
Gibraltar is one of the reasons I would like to do the Barcelona to Dover again. The only thing that dissuades me is the trek through the dreaded Sea of Biscay. Last time, we ran in to 80 mile an hour winds. And I am not loving the idea of an older ship, the Ryndam, on Holland America. On the other hand, I love HAL. I love the food, the beautiful flowers, the wonderful crew and the overall ambiance. The 7 day cruise is on NCL, with the dreaded freestyle dining, which to me is just a hassle. Traveling solo, I just want to have a nice quick meal without a lot of fuss, instead of having to decide between all the specialty restaurants and making reservations. I also am not fond of the dressing down that is so common on NCL. Well, guess I will wait to see what happens in the next ten days on pricing. I have no reservation at the moment on either cruise, and both are approaching final payment. Wish me luck! I need to make some reservation as I have all my airfare lined up for both cruises. Talk about living dangerously! :)

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Actually I did. I am going on the 7 day cruise NCL. Will report back when I return whether I liked it or not.

      Delete
    2. Wanted to report that I did not like NCL once again.

      Delete