"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Herculaneum: A Gargoyle-Inspired Place

Herculaneum
Herculaneum, not far from the Bay of Naples, is a smaller place than Pompeii but better preserved. Having been to Pompeii a few times, I look forward to an excursion to this fascinating place. It also was destroyed by the volcanic flow of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. The people were killed by intense heat, but there is great preservation of their bones. 

Rings on the fingers at Herculaneum

More than 300 skeletons have been found. This is definitely a gargoyle-inspired place. More info on Herculaneum and its skeletons can be found here on wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. The only bad thing is that the skeletons are very hard to see. They are downstairs in a vaulted area, almost like a jail. It takes a real effort to get down there. I was also told that most have been moved to a Musuem, but which Museum was not clear. Staff not helpful. Our guide was also kind of rude. Totally underwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete