"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Gargoyles Wanted: Bergen, Norway

Bergen Norway Hanseatic District from wikipedia
If there is one place that should have a sign out looking for employment for gargoyles, it is Bergen, Norway. I haven't been there yet, but I am really psyched to get there. I looked at a few shore excursions that took me away from this lovely town, but I may just get off the ship and walk around. There is so much to see right in Bergen.

The above photo of the waterfront first of all, with all the painted wooden buildings. The Hanseatic Museum is also supposed to be fascinating. 


Photo: Regin Hjertholm of old Bergen

Throughout the old sections of Bergen, there are museums and displays dating from the 10th century and on. A gargoyle would look great in that dentist chair!




Bergen view from above
I am dying to find out where these photos of Bergen were taken. There are tours that take you on the funicular and then you walk back down. Maybe this view can be seen from one of the lookouts on the way. I don't know yet, but plan to do a lot of research to find just the right things to do in Norway. I know that Bergen is often called the gateway to the Fjords.

Bergen, gateway to the Fjords
Again, I am off solo on this one. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment