"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cruise Blues: Single Supplements

Taken at Volendam
I want to discuss one of my pet peeves of the Cruise Industry, the dreaded single supplement. As I have stated in the past, I love nothing more than cruising solo. I have done it now a few times on Holland America and also once on NCL. I am taking the plunge and trying solo on NCL again in April. The first time around I went to Hawaii with NCL, which I feel was not a good fit for traveling solo. Romantic destinations like the Caribbean or Hawaii are better done with a significant other, my opinion.


St. Catherine's Palace at St. Petersburg


Europe is a good place to experiment with solo cruising. There are so many historic areas and museums to visit, traveling alone is just not a problem. I do have to admit on HAL (Holland America), I am extra spoiled by all the attention I get from the crew. Being alone at dinner or lunch usually prompts an officer to pass by and have a quick chat. The front desk staff always greets me by name and the cabin stewards are awesome. I am hoping for the same reception on NCL. 


Barcelona, Spain

I just couldn't pass up the great prices, and even though I am paying double, the price for a 7 day cruise in Italy and on the Adriatic Sea is an incredible bargain. I had booked HAL's Ryndam for the cruise from Barcelona to Dover, but the prices were not going down and I am not sure I would love such an old ship. I also like the medium size of the Norwegian Jade. Around 2,400 passengers is a great size. 

Back to the single supplement ... I have decided to look at it like when you stay in a hotel. Whether you are one person or two, you usually pay the same price for the room. Still stings, but lessens the hurt!


No comments:

Post a Comment