"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Ephesus & the Terrace Houses

Ephesus, Turkey

Crowded, hot and without sufficient caffeine (as I posted earlier, the coffee guy accidentally made us decaf that morning) ... my niece and I walked around Ephesus. Tour groups just kept arriving which made it hard to enjoy the place. I swear next time I will go in February. I heard it is cool but great then. 


Terrace Houses of Ephesus
But still nothing could stop my excitement when we walked around the Terrace Houses. It is a separate ticket, and it is so worth it. Seeing how the people lived all those years ago is just amazing. 

Wall painting of the Terrace Houses at Ephesus

I really felt as if I was transported back in time when I saw the wall paintings.


Terrace Houses of Ephesus

I love the above photo of the water bottle in some woman's hand. Way cool!

More information on visiting Ephesus and the Terrace Houses can be found here. It is so worth the extra money. The Terrace Houses made Ephesus come alive.

3 comments:

  1. Really makes me want to go. How is it politically right now in Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luh! What a cool post about one of my favorite places! The separate ticket is definitely worth it, isn't it?! :)

      Heather, I live in Turkey and operate a tourism business here. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the political situation in Turkey at the moment at allison@turkuaztours.com. Suffice it to say, you probably hear a lot about Turkey and the unrest here with all that is going on in the southeast (the PKK violence and the Syrian refugees). However, Turkey is a safe place for tourists outside those areas, and definitely worth a visit! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info, Allison. Please feel free to post your tourism site here so I can add it to my links!

    ReplyDelete