"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Achilleion Palace in Corfu: Gargoyle Delight

My niece Sarah with Sissi in the background




On our Roman Empire cruise, my niece and I took a tour to Corfu, Greece that visited the Achilleion Palace. It was built by Empress of Austria Elizabeth of Bavaria, also thankfully known as Sissi, as her real name is a mouthful. The palace was designed after the mythical Greek hero Achilles. After Sissi's death, the German Kaiser Wilhelm II bought the Palace and used it as a summer residence. More info on the Palace can be found here

Palace entry ceiling


But the interest for me was all the architectural wonders. You may say it is gaudy or you don't particularly like the style, but I found the Palace fascinating. It is beautiful in a very different way. Taken all together it is almost too much, but if you stop and observe just one stair railing or one chandelier or the way the light hits a painting, it is truly magnificent.



By the staircase

Detail of one of the ceilings


Wall detail

Decorative railing




The Palace also has amazing grounds and a view of the ocean that is truly blessed. I will have to dig out the view for another post. For now, check out this palm tree.



2 comments:

  1. nice .Very nice article! It really made me interested here. Thank you for bringing more informative post. I can't wait to read more of your blogs
    villas in kissimmee florida

    ReplyDelete