"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Introduction to Grand Turk Island


Beach at Grand Turk seen from the cruise ship


My husband, sister-in-law and I took a cruise over the Christmas holiday on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam. One of the nicest places and a complete surprise was the island of Grand Turk. The beach is just absolutely gorgeous. Cozumel still has a beautiful beach with clear waters, where we live. But it was nice to see a place with so little activity, still so laid-back and with crystal clear waters.



There was a variety of transportation options - local cabs, ATVs to ride along the main road, and golf carts as seen above. We opted for a local cab as I only knew I wanted to see Cockburn Town, which boasts a local musem (quite good) and some of the oldest buildings I have ever seen outside of Europe.

Cockburn Town Museum porch
We had a bit of a scare when we first arrived by taxi to Cockburn Town though. The driver of the van who drove us in to town was drinking Budweiser. Now this was 9am. I found it amusing, not really frightening. I mean the island is pretty small, seems to be comprised of mainly one road and the driver was not going fast. 

Once we arrived in the town, it appeared to be mostly just a sandy road with a few souvenir shops and a bunch of older men, you guessed it, drinking Budweiser at an old picnic bench. The scary part came about when one of these men appeared behind us and started to follow us down the road. In my nervousness, I ran over to another van driver and asked him if he was heading back to the ship. I wasn't too comfortable with this guy, but he assured me he was harmless and just mentally ill. He laughed and said it really isn't good for business how he follows the tourists around. So we stayed and enjoyed ourselves! I am really glad we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment