"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Grand Turk Continued

Moises and me on Grand Turk
I found this photo my sister-in-law, Mariana, took on our holiday Caribbean cruise pretty amusing. It says prison with an arrow pointing to us. This was taken on Victoria Streeet in Cockburn Town, one of the oldest towns I have ever been to in the New World.


Victoria Public Library

Wikipedia has this to say about Cockburn Town ... "The seat of government ever since 1766, Cockburn Town was the first permanent settlement on any of the islands, founded in 1681 by salt collectors who arrived in the Turks and Caicos Islands. The city supposedly lies on the place where Juan Ponce de León first landed on the island."

Display at the National Museum of Grank Turk


Some of the oldest buildings are still used, but they seem to be only open at rare times. Maybe a few hours in the morning and a bit in late afternoon. The entire island has a feel of mañana time, like nothing happens fast and maybe not at all. The people are friendly and seem good natured, and nobody is in a hurry.

But by and far the best part of Cockburn Town for me was the National Museum. It is quite an impressive little place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment