"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Walk in the Plaka

My favorite little angel
On my walk in the Plaka in June, I could feel the fear and anticipation in the air. We were only weeks from the default of the Greek government in the eurozone. In the end, they got an extension - but things only got worse after I left. Banks had their doors closed, hotels only accepted cash, even Greeks in other parts of the world traveling had their credit cards refused as the banks had no funds to cover it. But that day I walked the Plaka, an amazing thing happened. I connected with a young boy playing his accordion in a doorway. He was like a little angel to me. I will never forget it. It has become the photo on my Facebook page, and one I remember with such joy and spirituality. Thank you, young man, for making my day!


the Plaka in Athens


We have a marvelous walk in the Plaka. I remembered it from 2009 as an amazing place, but I enjoyed it even more this time. 


Motos and more motos

Our group from the Holland America Zuiderdam

Greek olives ... yum!


2 comments:

  1. That little boy is just precious. Want to see more posts about your Greek trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I plan to get back on it this weekend.

      Delete