"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Koper, Slovenia: A Delight

Graffiti of Koper
The graffiti of Koper, Slovenia is really at a minimum. I took this shot as I loved the guy in the cap and what it says, "Graffiti is Forever." Actually that is true and graffiti has been around a lot longer than we realize. Roman times had graffiti. I couldn't imagine Italy without it. It is just the way Italians express themselves.

Mostly Koper is filled with narrow cobblestone streets, small wonderful shops, including great bakeries and a market with luscious fruit.

Bakery where I ate a cream puff of some sort

Fruit stands are Koper market
I took a very long walk through Koper. It felt safe and relaxed. I walked from the Praetorian Palace to the waterfront, where I saw the fruit stands and stopped to have a very good cappuccino. Not expensive at all, as well. The people mostly did not speak English, but I was able to get by just fine ... holding out coins like I normally do to pay for my purchase. 

Streets of Koper


Koper was a place that calls my name, and I would love to go back. I felt there was much more to see there. I actually took a tour later on that day to see the Lipica horses. The show was good and the horses were beautiful, but i preferred the town over the horse excursion. I could have lingered there all day, walking along and stopping in shops and just gazing at a way of life so different from my own.


me on the streets of Koper


No comments:

Post a Comment