"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Barcelona: A Day of Books and Roses

Sant Jordi Festival at Barcelona 2013


It never fails. I always arrive at Barcelona when there is some kind of festival or other. Today is Sant Jordi. I walked around all day watching people carrying roses and there is a bustling book fair. Right in front of my hotel, there are Catalan books being signed by famous Catalan authors and everybody carrying red roses. 



Sant Jordi Festival on 23rd of April 2013

So when I returned to the hotel, I looked up Sant Jordi Day, and it is the day of St. George, who is the patron saint of Catalan. The story of how books and roses began to be exchanged on April 23rd is explained here. It is really quite fascinating. 

Balloons seem to be pretty important too!

Balloons celebrating the day of Sant Jordi













No comments:

Post a Comment