"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pamukkale and Hierapolis: Close to Izmir

Pamukkale from Wikipedia


I haven't even left on my cruise for this year and I am already researching cruises for 2014. The same ship I am on this year, Norwegian Jade, has a cruise that looks amazing. I would love to do it. It overnights in Istanbul and goes to a lot of other fab places. I just might put down a deposit on a great room in anticipation and see if I like the ship. (Fingers crossed.)

Since I've been to Ephesus, I did not want to return there when we dock in Izmir. I am looking for something else to do and stumbled on this tour of Pamukkale and Hierapolis. Viator has a Tour of Pamukkale and Hierapolis that looks awesome. Pamukkale is a site of petrified lime cascades that have been used since Roman times for their thermal waters. 



Hierapolis from Wikipedia

The Roman city of Hierapolis is built on solid limestone layers. The name means sacred city and you can visit the Apollo Temple that rivals Delphi in beauty and importance, according to Wikipedia. More info on Hierapolis can be found on Wikipedia, click here.

Now I have to hope that if I take the cruise, they offer a tour to these two great places.

No comments:

Post a Comment