"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Passing Through Rapallo I



Rapallo, Italy
On our bus ride from La Spezia to Santa Margherita Ligure, we went through a town called Rapallo. It was not nearly as charming as Santa Margherita or Portofino, but there were some amazing architectural features. The basic home style is quite like all of Liguria, with the sherbert pastel colors. 


Architectural detail of Rapallo
The buildings were quite whimsical and I liked the size of the town. More information on Rapallo can be found here. Wikipedia estimates the town size at about 34,000 inhabitants. We just passed by twice, once on our way and one coming back. It stuck in my memory for some of the great features.


Rapallo railing
Rapallo recycling
Throughout Italy, recycling is everywhere. I thought that was great. As you can see from the above photo, there are four different types of containers for recycling. The streets were clean. There was an ever present layer of grime from all the buses and cars, which seems to be pretty much throughout Italy until you get in to the countryside.


My favorite photo of Rapallo


My favorite photo of Rapallo is above, a boy pretending to kick his friend as they wait for the bus (I assume.) There is just something so universal about this photo. Boys being boys!

1 comment:

  1. The boy pretending to kick the other boy ... love it!

    ReplyDelete