"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Graveyard in Galicia: a Holy Place

A beautiful graveyard in Galicia, Spain


On our cruise from Barcelona to Dover, we spent one day in Galicia, Spain. We made a stop at a graveyard that was the site of a Church that had burned down hundreds of years before. As most everything is made from stone in this area, much of the outer walls of the Church structure remained. The graveyard was then placed in front. I thought is was an ingenious use of the space.

Definitely a gargoyle post - the graves were so beautifully decorated and there were flowers everywhere!




Burned down Church made of local stone





I loved walking around the reading the names of the deceased. Spanish names are so beautiful anyway, and in such a tranquil setting ...

My friend Neil photographing the graveyard
 One wall also had Christ on the cross and a place to say a prayer. This was one of my favorite spots on the cruise.

3 comments: