"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Montserrat Cathedral: Another Gargoyle Heaven


Can you see me?

A very nice Australian woman offered to take my photo in front of the Cathedral doors at the Monastery of Montserrat. If you squint your eyes and look real hard, you can see me there down on the right hand corner. 

The Cathedral is full of wonderful architectural details and a place gargoyles would love.


Mosaic at Montserrat Cathedral

There are lovely mosaics, animal themed pews and gold galore. The inside is really a treasure trove, but what I loved about it the most was the spiritual feeling it has. I went to so many Churches and Cathedrals on my trip, but somehow when I was crammed in with a thousand other tourists, the appeal and the spirituality seems to disappear. I was lucky to be at Montserrat late in the day and it was quiet and peaceful.



Montserrat Cathedral interior





Are these jaguars holding the pews?










1 comment: