"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Going to Gdansk





My husband Moises in Gdansk, Poland
The ride to Gdansk from the port of Gydnia was almost as interesting as the town of Gdansk in Poland. More info on Gydnia can be found here. We went to Gdansk on a Baltic cruise, and I am fairly certain not many cruise ships stop there. The ride was definitely gargoyle-oriented.


Note the old buildings, decay and dirt. Very interesting though.


From Gydnia to Gdansk




















Arriving at Gdansk


Arriving at Gdansk is kind of like arriving at Disneyland or Disney World, but the ride there is definitely a lot different. The remnants of the Communist rule are everywhere, with a pervasive sadness that envelops the entire area. The people on the other hand are charming, smiling, fun and resilient.


More info on Gdansk can be found here. As you can see from the crooked photos, our trip involved a lot of swaying back and forth on the bus. One tip - very nice and inexpensive amber jewelry can be found here.



2 comments: