"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Dubrovnik: Gargoyles Found


Dubrovnik was the first stop of our Holland America cruise, Roman Empire. It  is a hidden gem on the Adriatic Sea. The color of the sea reminds me of where I live, Cozumel, with its clarity and color. I believe the water is a lot colder though. Add mountain vistas, gargoyles and medieval buildings - you begin to see why I loved Dubrovnik. This is definitely a gargoyle post, with a definite lack of graffiti. 

In the middle ages, it was known as Ragusa, and rivaled Venice for maritime activities. Some more info on its history can be found here 

Gorgeous fountain on our walking tour
Dominican monastery courtyard
We did a walking tour of the old part of the city and went to an outdoor cafe afterwards for lunch.

Fort Lovrijenac

One of our stops was at Fort Lovrijenac. It can be seen from all over. More information on this fort can be found here

A great day was had by all in our group, but in all honesty, other than the fort and the view from the vantage point on the bus tour, all of the city of Dubrovnik was very accessible. If I go back, I would definitely do Dubrovnik without a tour and just walk around and soak up all the gargoyle effects.

Our tour bus

6 comments: