"Gargoyles & Graffiti"chronicles architectural elements that I find interesting or unique in my travels. Gargoyles are my passion, but today graffiti (which I hate but am learning to love as it is everywhere) is as much a part of architecture as the gargoyles and decorative railings that thrill me.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Update on Amy Winehouse's death


Apologies for digressing from my travel posts, I feel a burning desire to post on the death of Amy Winehouse one more time. Return to travel mid-week, I promise.

RIP, Amy ...

While in Miami this week, I picked up both Frank and Back to Black. I have to admit I am partial to Back to Black. It reminded me of the hours I spent drinking wine, smoking cigarettes and singing to The Supremes back in the late 70s with my best friend, Kathy. God rest your soul, Kathy. 

She was shot to death by her husband in 1984. I had moved to Florida by then. She was the best friend I ever had and I wrote an unfinished mystery novel, pulling my pain from the days around her death. Pain I still carry. 

Maybe that is why the death of Amy Winehouse hit me so hard. Or maybe it is due to my addiction problems or my husband's. I don't know. I became a recovering alcoholic at the age of 31. Maybe it was the struggles with codependency while I watched my husband struggle with his addiction for 8 years of our marriage. I truly do know the pain. Sometimes I was crazier than he was while I watched on in helplessness. The only thing that finally worked was locking him out, refusing to see him and walking away. Somehow with God's grace, he found his way. 

The best article I have found on Amy is from Rabbi Shais Taub. Thank you, Rabbi, for your profound words. They do bring me peace. 

Rabbi Shais Taub's article: Was the World Powerless to Stop Amy Winehouse?

I always remember, "but for the grace of God, there go I."

2 comments:

  1. I never knew about your friend. Very heartfelt post, Luh. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. I still miss Kathy. She was another tragic figure that got in to drugs with a boyfriend, and this behavior continued with her second husband. He killed her in a drunken rage after a night out partying. All such a waste.

    ReplyDelete